Travel Guides to Canada


Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 19 of 163

ENTERING THE COUNTRY First impressions count, so the Canada Border Services Agency makes entering the country comparatively easy. Vacationing citizens of Britain and most EU or Commonwealth countries need only a valid passport and Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Visas aren't required; however, a return ticket and proof of suffi cient funds may be requested. American citizens travelling between the U.S. and Canada must produce a passport or other WHTI-compliant document, such as a NEXUS card ( If in doubt, consult Citizenship and Immigration Canada ( There are no limitations on what personal eff ects can be brought into Canada. Gifts must be valued at $60 or less each. Duty-free limits for adults are 1.5 l (53 imp. oz.) of wine, 1.14 l (40 imp. oz.) of spirits or 8.5 l (287 imp. oz.) of beer or ale. Adults may also bring up to 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 g (7 oz.) of tobacco or 200 tobacco sticks. The use of fi rearms is strictly con- trolled, and the buying or selling of illicit drugs is severely dealt with. When travelling, prescription medications should be kept in original containers in case customs offi cials want to see them. In the interest of public health, restrictions are also placed on the importation of animals, plants and foods ( ). GETTING AROUND Flights operated by Air Canada (www. and carriers like WestJet ( or Porter (www. fl link many Canadian cities. In some airports, a departure tax is levied on top of taxes included in your ticket price. The national train system, VIA Rail, off ers cross-country service, with connec- tions to certain U.S. cities ( Inter-city bus service is also available in some areas through companies such as Greyhound ( Civic buses provide public transit in many communities; Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Montréal, moreover, have excellent subway and local rail systems. Taxi service has been a foundation in cities and municipalities for many years, however, upstart Uber is available in some major cities. For many travellers, though, driving is the preferred way to go. The cornerstone of the national road network is the Trans-Canada Highway, which stretches 8,030 km (4,990 mi.) from Victoria, B.C., to St. John's, Newfoundland, with ferries covering coastal waters at each end. Canadians drive on the right and follow rules similar to those in Britain and the U.S. At intersections you may turn right on a red light if the way is clear and unless posted otherwise (except on the Island of Montréal). Speed limits, stated in kilome- tres, vary but are usually around 100 to 110 km/h (62 to 68 mph) on highways and 50 to 60 km/h (31 to 37 mph) in urban areas. Radar detectors are illegal in most locales. Seat belts are compulsory, and children weighing less than 18 kg (40 lb.) must be in child restraint seats. Every province and territory, save for Nunavut, forbids using hand-held electronic devices when driving. Permissible blood alcohol limits vary, but drinking and driving laws are strictly enforced nationwide. Before travelling, it is useful to have some basic information on your destination. Provincial and territorial agencies can provide material covering every aspect of tourism in their region, allowing you to plan accordingly. We've compiled our own list of tips— consider this Canada 101, a primer to help you prep for your trip. TRAVELLERS' TIPS BY SUSAN MACCALLUM-WHITCOMB CANADIAN MUSEUM OF HISTORY • ON TOURISM 18

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Travel Guides to Canada - 2017 TRAVEL GUIDE TO CANADA